FWIW, the "daily-threshold" limit on a LISTSERV(tm) list can easily be
set to any value by the listowner; it can also be manually overridden by
the owner in specific cases with a "release" command (which retains the
limit but allows continued distribution on the day the limit is reached).

Using the threshold -- which halts *all* list conversations and thereby
penalizes all listmembers -- as a "timeout" tool to stop specific
threads seems like a rather broad-brush strategy to my mind.

regards,

- mt

Marc Truitt
Associate Director,
Bibliographic and Information       Voice  : 780-492-4770
    Technology Services             e-mail : [log in to unmask]
University of Alberta Libraries     fax    : 780-492-9243
Cameron Library                     cell   : 780-217-0356
Edmonton, AB  T6G 2J8

"But now old friends are acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day..."

                                -- J. Mitchell (1967)