On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 6:15 PM, ... <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> book sharing will probably happen through creative use of inter-library loan
> functionality, and so an ILS that has a solid and flexible ILL is necessary.
>
> We will probably have less than 1,000 books (perhaps a couple thousand if
> things really take off) and less than 100 borrowers.  Probably about as many
> book sharers (ie, partner libraries) as borrowers.

I keep going back to this point. What type of "partner libraries" are
these? Are they part of a given institution, or consortium? Honestly,
I don't think ILL is the right solution, and as others have said on
this thread, implementing ILL (or even borrowing) is certainly
non-trivial.

One possibility would be to have a centralized ILS for all the partner
libraries, and to manage each as a location within the ILS. This is
the model that many public library networks use, for what it's worth.

Mark A. Matienzo
Digital Archivist, Manuscripts and Archives
Yale University Library