MARC records break parsing far too frequently. Apart from requiring no
truly specialized tools, MARCXML should—should!—eliminate many of
those problems. That's not to mention that MARC character sets vary a
lot (DanMARC anyone?), and more even in practice than in theory.

From my perspective the problem is simply that MARCXML isn't as
ubiquitous as MARC. For what we do, at least, there's no point. We'd
need to parse non-XML MARC data anyway. So if we're going to do it, we
might as well do it for everything.

Best,
Tim

--