- XML is self-describing, binary is not.

Not to quibble, but that's only in a theoretical sense here. Something
like Amazon XML is truly self-describing. MARCXML is self-obfuscating.
At least MARC records kinda imitate catalog cards.
:)

Tim

--
Check out my library at http://www.librarything.com/profile/timspalding