MODS was an attempt to mostly-but-not-entirely-roundtrippably represent
data in MARC in a format that's more 'normal' XML, without packed bytes
in elements, with element names that are more or less self-documenting,
etc.  It's caught on even less than MARCXML though, so if you find
MARCXML under-adopted (I disagree), you won't like MODS.

Personally I think MODS is kind of the worst of both worlds. The only
reason to stick with something that looks anything like MARC is to be
round-trippable with legacy MARC, which MODS is not.  But if you're
going to give that up, you really want more improvements than MODS
supplies, it's still got a lot of the unfortunate legacy of MARC in it.