Since it has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread, here is some additional information about lib-web-cats and Library Technology Guides. (http://www.librarytechnology.org)

The lib-web-cats component of Library Technology Guides draws on a variety of sources to keep up-to-date information regarding the technology products used in libraries.  It's most accurate and complete for libraries in the United States with increasing international scope.  As mentioned, vendor announcements constitute one source.  But I also use other means, including regular canvassing of library web sites, and e-mail queries and surveys to libraries.  The site includes the ability for an individual associated with a library to register and update their listing, which I routinely verify.  Several state library agencies have worked with me to help gather automation data.

Having maintained this resource for over 10 years, my experience is that only a small minority of libraries will actively submit or update their information.  It takes a great deal of proactive effort.

lib-web-cats tracks most, but not all of the product categories mentioned. It includes:
Current and previous ILS with implementation dates
Current and previous discovery products with implementation dates
Current and previous OpenURL resolvers with implementation dates
Metasearch products
Institutional Repository platforms
Electronic Resource Management systems
RFID-based products implemented
Web content management system (Drupal, Plone, Joomla, Plinkit, etc)
Catalog enhancements (LibrayThing for Libraries, ChiliFresh, etc)

The ILS and discovery categories are much more complete than the others.

I am happy to add additional categories if there is interest.

Entries also include  library type, collection size, circulation volume, population served, and other qualifiers.

The database structure of lib-web-cats makes it possible to create reports or queries that illustrate trends or identify reference sites.  This resource page provides some examples:
  http://www.librarytechnology.org/web/breeding/ILS-marketshare-migrations/

A statistics page shows the number of libraries included from each country:
 http://www.librarytechnology.org/ltg-statistics.pl

(23,478 in the United States)

I hope this information is helpful.

-marshall

Marshall Breeding
Director for Innovative Technology and Research
Vanderbilt University Library
Editor, Library Technology Guides & lib-web-cats
http://www.librarytechnology.org