> b) expanding it to be actual useful and interesting.

But here I think you've missed the very utility of MARC-XML.

Let's say you have a binary MARC file (the kind that comes out of an ILS) and want to transform that into MODS, Dublin Core, or maybe some other XML schema.

How would you do that?

One way is to first transform the MARC into MARC-XML.  Then you can use XSLT to crosswalk the MARC-XML into that other schema.  Very handy.

Your criticisms of MARC-XML all seem to presume that MARC-XML is the goal, the end point in the process.  But MARC-XML is really better seen as a utility, a middle step between binary MARC and the real goal, which is some other "useful and interesting" XML schema.

--Dave

David Walker
Library Web Services Manager
California State University