> I've been involved in several projects lambasted
> because managers think MARCXML is solving
> some imaginary problem

It seems to me that this is really the heart of your argument.  You had this experience, and now are projecting the opinions of these managers onto "lots of people in the library world."

I've worked in libraries for nearly a decade, and have never met anyone (manager or otherwise) who held the belief that XML in general, or MARC-XML in particular, somehow magically solves all metadata problems.

I guess our two experiences cancel each other out, then.  And, ultimately, none of that has anything to do with MARC-XML itself.

--Dave

David Walker
Library Web Services Manager
California State University