Hi,

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Bill Dueber <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Sorry. That was rude, and uncalled for. I disagree that the problem is
> easily solved, even without the politics. There've been lots of attempts to
> try to come up with a sufficiently expressive toolset for dealing with
> biblio data, and we're still working on it. If you do think you've got some
> insight, I'm sure we're all ears, but try to frame it terms of the existing
> work if you can (RDA, some of the dublin core stuff, etc.) so we have a
> frame of reference.

Well, I've wined enough both here and on NGC4LIB, and I'm kinda over
it, just like I'm sure most people are over my whining. But sufficient
to say is that FRBR is a 15 year old model that has still not been
proven in the Real World[TM] in any meaningful way (the prototypes
works fine until you dig a bit) and probably never will as long as
MARC21 runs the show, and trying to stick RDA on top with rules that
has got use-cases that are old enough to be my kids, well, I'm not
very positive about that either.

The direction of going ontological is a good one, and in the lack of
anything else, RDF-infused FRBR / RDA is probably the way to go
(except I'd ditch RDA and, uh, perhaps even FRBR, or at least
seriously modify it), but the community is decidedly not talking about
ontological interoperability nor extensions nor the semantics involved
to solve actual problems in the bibliographic world (including the
fact that it is inherently bibliographic). There needs to be much more
involvement by library geeks and managers in defining semantic reuse
and extensibility, to properly define those things that are almost
absent from the AACR2 and friends; the relationships between entities
themselves. In other words, you need to get away from the
record-centered view, and embrace the subject-centric view.

Anyway, enough from this old grumpy bum. Sorry to stir up the dust.

Regards,

Alex
--
 Project Wrangler, SOA, Information Alchemist, UX, RESTafarian, Topic Maps