  I've only just had a chance to catch up on this thread. I'm not
offended in the least by Turbomarc (anything round-trippable should
serve just as well as an internal representation of MARC, right?), but I
am a little puzzled--what are the 'special cases' alluded to in the blog
post? When would there ever be a non-alphanumeric attribute value in
MARCXML? Is this a non-MARC21 thing?

On 10/25/10 3:35 PM, MJ Suhonos wrote:
> I'll just leave this here:
>
> http://www.indexdata.com/blog/2010/05/turbomarc-faster-xml-marc-records
>
> That trade-off ought to offend both camps, though I happen to think it's quite clever.
>
> MJ
>
> On 2010-10-25, at 3:22 PM, Eric Hellman wrote:
>
>> I think you'd have a very hard time demonstrating any speed advantage to MARC over MARCXML. XML parsers have been speed optimized out the wazoo; If there exists a MARC parser that has ever been speed-optimized without serious compromise, I'm sure someone on this list will have a good story about it.
>>
>> On Oct 25, 2010, at 3:05 PM, Patrick Hochstenbach wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Nate,
>>>
>>> There is a trade-off: do you want very fast processing of data ->  go for binary data. do you want to share your data globally easily in many (not per se library related) environments ->  go for XML/RDF.
>>> Open your data and do both :-)
>>>
>>> Pat
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

>> Eric Hellman
>> President, Gluejar, Inc.
>> 41 Watchung Plaza, #132
>> Montclair, NJ 07042
>> USA

>> http://go-to-hellman.blogspot.com/
>> @gluejar
> ---

Cory Rockliff
Technical Services Librarian
Bard Graduate Center: Decorative Arts, Design History, Material Culture
18 West 86th Street
New York, NY 10024
T: (212) 501-3037

BGC Exhibitions:
In the Main Gallery:
January 26, 2011– April 17, 2011
Cloisonné: Chinese Enamels from the Yuan, Ming, and Qing Dynasties
Organized in collaboration with the Musée des arts Décoratifs, Paris.
In the Focus Gallery:
January 26, 2011– April 17, 2011
Objects of Exchange: Social and Material Transformation on the Late-Nineteenth-Century Northwest Coast
Organized in collaboration with the American Museum of Natural History

---