You know, with Jonathan's rephrasing (if it's accurate), it crossed my
mind that most ILSes that support course reserves should be able to
handle this.

It's extremely common for course reserves to belong to the instructor
that is putting them on reserve and the ILS would need to keep track
of that to return said materials back to the lending instructor.

Now, I have no idea if most reserves departments do this via notes in
the record or whatnot, but it might at least be a model for how this
could work with a traditional ILS.

Since I neither work for a library nor work for a vendor whose ILS
supports course reserves (since that model doesn't really exist in the
UK, apparently), I can't actually confirm how this works in practice.

But I'm guessing somebody on this list can.

-Ross.