The WordPress platform is a good place to start for building on research
papers.

I'm forwarding your WordPress module wishlist to Code4Lib:

I would be interested in these two
> Wordpress modules:
> a) an author module that integrates with the ORCID researcher
> identifier system. Manuscript authors could provide their ORCID
> credentials when starting a document, and there would be no need to
> provide author information at the time of manuscript submission. This
> module would also allow all coauthors to approve a manuscript before
> submission. The system should also define the role of the author in
> the manuscript ("provided data", "did experiment X", etc.).
> b) a citation module that extends the current Wordpress functionality
> of providing links. The module should provide rich formating of
> citations (using the citation style language CSL), should verify
> citations, should add meaning to citations (using the Citation
> Ontology CiTO), and should allow citations of specific parts of a
> paper or dataset.

Code4Lib folks, for context see
https://sites.google.com/site/beyondthepdf/

Thought of y'all in part because the Code4Lib Journal uses some WordPress
customizations:
http://wiki.code4lib.org/index.php/Code4Lib_Journal_WordPress_Customizations

-Jodi