On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 2:22 PM, Eric Hellman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I think you'd have a very hard time demonstrating any speed advantage to MARC over MARCXML.

Not to bring up this old topic again, but I'm just finishing up a
conversion from "parse this text structure" to "blit this binary data
structure into memory." Both written in python.

The text parsing is indeed fast -- tens of milliseconds to parse 100k
or so of data on my laptop.

The binary code, though, is literally 1,000 times faster -- tens of
*microseconds* to read the same data. (And in this application, yeah,
it'll matter.)

Blitting is much, much, much faster than lexing and parsing, or even
running a regexp over the data.

Cheers,
-Nate