On Nov 7, 2010, at 3:24 PM, Andy Kelly wrote:

> I'd just come across the term for this sort of phrase recycling. A *snowclone* [1] is a type of cliché and phrasal template [2] originally defined as "a multi-use, customizable, instantly recognizable, time-worn, quoted or misquoted phrase or sentence that can be used in an entirely open array of different variants"... It's interesting City of God topped the list...

Yes, the question, "How 'great' are the Great Books?" is definitely a play on words. But at the same time I really am trying to apply quantitative methods to qualitative values, and yes, this is an application in natural language processing. See "Measuring the Great Books". [3]

As of today the survey has been answered more than 3,000 times by more than 200 people. (See the map. [4]) The City of God is no longer at the top but rather Don Quixote is #1 and City of God is #6.

[1] snowclone - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowclone
[2] template - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrasal_template
[3] measuring - http://bit.ly/cMBjEO
[4] map - http://bit.ly/9bYXRA

--
Eric "Shooting For 100,000 Answered Surveys" Morgan
University of Notre Dame