I'm just coming to grips with MVC myself, and I'm trying Vork [1].

Despite not seeing much posted on the web about it, I went with it
because of needs specific to my project. I wanted something that had
built-in support for MongoDB, but which was not exclusively noSQL. I'm
in the early redesign stages of something that was procedural, so
wanted MongoDB for the fast reads/writes, and because it didn't tie me
to a complicated database/tables setup as the project evolves (I'm not
a DBA).

Like a few PHP frameworks(?) Vork uses "helpers" which seemed a
perfect place for quite a bit of my code which is designed to be
re-usable by others.

Not sure if this helps(?)

Tom

[1] http://www.vork.us