Matthew,

I find it confusing as well, but as Karen points out, that's the way the
FRBR model does things. It seems to be driven by the need for the work to be
such an abstract thing that it is prior to words. However, it does seem to
me that the meaning of the language of a particular expression is not
complete without reference to the original language.

One of the FRAD drafts
(http://archive.ifla.org/VII/d4/franar-conceptual-model-2ndreview.pdf)
actually did propose original language as an attribute of the work ("The
language in which the work was first expressed"), but that axed so it seems
to have been a very conscious decision on the part of the creators of FRBR.

The idea does seem to have generated some controversy. From ALA's feedback
on this draft:
" At least one task force member was a bit uneasy with this attribute,
noting that, although the attribute has a certain utility, the "work" entity
is abstract in FRBR and is not associated with any particular language (e.g.
"Ancient Greek" is the language of the first expression of the Iliad, but
not the language of the work, which encompasses what all of the expressions
have in common). Others thought that an original language attribute was
appropriate for "work" (for textual works, anyway), that all expressions of
a work do have the same "original language" even if the language of the
expressions themselves can differ, and that the attribute is necessary for
determining whether or not the expression represents a translation. It was
suggested that the attribute would not be appropriate for a "superwork"
entity, were one to be defined."
(http://www.libraries.psu.edu/tas/jca/ccda/docs/tf-frad3.pdf)

Kelley