Hi Eric - I met Peter Van Garderen of Archivematica at IDCC and asked if he'd be at code4lib.  I'm not sure he can make it, but I've cc'd him here to answer your question.

It's a pretty neat stack of software, and follows a lot of the same philosophy we do in a microservices approach to digital asset management.

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Eric Lease Morgan
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2010 6:36 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] archivematica

On Dec 17, 2010, at 9:28 AM, Eric Lease Morgan wrote:

> Does anybody here know how Archivematica is similar & different from Fedora? For example, to what degree could Fedora be used as a component of Archivematica?

I'll answer my own question, "Very little."

Archivematica [1] is distributed as a virtual software appliance, and Fedora is not a part of the distribution. Archivematica seems to use the local file system for storage and a host of other pieces of software to manage metadata and processes. Interesting!

[1] Archivematica - http://archivematica.org

--
Eric Morgan
University of Notre Dame