On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Michael J. Giarlo
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Has anyone thought through, or put into practice, using Apache
> mod_rewrite tables for this simple "redirect one URL to another" use
> case?

I do mod_rewrite redirects with a RewriteMap

https://bitbucket.org/btingle/dsc-role-account/src/c81c543848a7/servers/front/conf/common-rewrite.conf#cl-26
https://bitbucket.org/btingle/dsc-role-account/src/c81c543848a7/servers/front/conf/UCPEE.txt

But I prefer to use mod_rewrite with mod_proxy in a reverse proxy
configuration -- this lets the URL NOT redirect so the canonical URL
stays in the browser window (at least for the first page).  The
persistent URL and the real URL are the same this way.

http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/tf387002bh/
https://bitbucket.org/btingle/dsc-role-account/src/c81c543848a7/servers/front/conf/common-rewrite.conf#cl-58

http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/kt0f59q75v/
https://bitbucket.org/btingle/dsc-role-account/src/c81c543848a7/servers/front/conf/vhosts/001-findaid.conf.in#cl-69

By using mod_proxy with mod_rewrite; the URLs for the front pages of
the EADs did not change as we moved from DLXS to XTF (at least for
"front" or "home" pages for the finding aids).