--- On Fri, 14 Jan 2011, Michael J. Giarlo wrote:
> My apologies if this question is something of a moronic indulgence but
> I feel compelled to ask it:
>
> Has anyone thought through, or put into practice, using Apache
> mod_rewrite tables for this simple "redirect one URL to another" use
> case?

The n2t.net resolver is using RewriteMap (and ordinary RedirectMatch)
directives to make Apache tap into the BerkeleyDB database that Noid
runs on.

Brian's reverse proxy approach for a given server does help in keeping
the browser's location bar correctly showing the more bookmarkable link.

With n2t.net (and ezid) we're working on a way to make it easier to
resolve ids to get current provider information (Karen's issue).

-John