At Wed, 26 Jan 2011 17:01:05 -0500,
Jonathan Rochkind wrote:

> It's sometimes not feasible/possible though. But it is unfortunate, and
> I agree you should always just do that where possible.
>
> I wonder if Google's use of the <link rel=canonical> element has been
> catching on with any other tools? Will any browses, delicious
> extensions, etc., bookmark that, or offer the option to bookmark that,
> or anything, instead of the one in the address bar?

The W3C WWW Technical Architecture Group has some interest in making
302 found redirects work as they were supposed to in browsers [1], but
there is not a lot of movement there, as far as I know.

In the meantime I believe that we should strive in all cases to ensure
that the URL in the address bar is the permanent URL.

best, Erik

1. http://www.w3.org/QA/2010/04/why_does_the_address_bar_show.html