Ugh, that third step is ugly to require the user to do that. Will it
work okay in MS Access if you skip that part, will Access be okay with
just \n?

If not, I might actually try sniffing the OS from the user-agent and
converting line-endings to appropriate for that OS before delivering the
file; making people do that extra step would make me sad.