Yep,using a globally unique identifier like an ARK is better than my
/records/12345 example,that's a better way to do it for sure.

So in that example,
http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth60974/   is what you
access, http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth60974/ is what
you see in your browser location bar, and they can switch software
systems all they want, as long as the new system lives at
http://digital.library.unt.edu, and can take an ARK and give you your
think -- without a redirect.

[One way to do that on top of a system that doens't otherwise care about
it would be to use apache reverse proxy -- so long as the system has
SOME url template with a slot for an ARK.  Although the system has to
care enough to _generate_ the right URLs in links too, I guess, but that
sometimes just requiers changing at a view/template layer, that may be
easier to change than the actual controller/URL parsing/handling layer. ].