> For future reference, Notepad will only recognize "\r\n", not "\r" or
> "\n" alone. Also, use Wordpad or Notepad++ instead.

That's been my experience, too.

These are my instructions to staff for downloading a delimited text file from one of our (Unix) web servers to their PC:

1) Right-click and select "Save Target (or Link) As..."
2) Save the file in desired directory
3) Once the file is saved, open it in WordPad and re-save
4) Optional: import the file into MS Access

After step 3, they can also view it okay in Notepad.  Opening and re-saving the file in WordPad apparently converts the Unix line-endings to the Windows line-endings.

-- Michael