I've used Selenium with Cucumber just enough to know that I want to
try it more. I've segregated my tests into non-javascript cucumber
features that run fast and javascript tests that run much slower. I
run the fast tests with autotest as I develop features. Everything
ought to degrade nicely, so I develop these features first. Then as
javascript or ajax features are added, I can manually run the
javascript cucumber features which need Selenium. Not everything needs
to be tested through selenium, so I do not worry so much about the
speed. I haven't used this setup much yet, but so far I like the
workflow.

From this page it looks like you do not need to run jruby to use
culerity. Celerity runs in JRuby, but your application doesn't need
to.
https://github.com/langalex/culerity

Jason