One reason persistent IDs are better than persistent URLs is that you
can Google them.  You see this with DOIs: it's true that there is a
well-known resolution service that you can use for DOIs if you're so
inclined, but actually a simple web-search for, say, 10.1144/SP343.22
will get you what you need.  Same for ISBNs.