One of the difficulties with your surface analysis of Thoreau vs Austen is
that Thoreau wrote a memoir and Austen wrote fictional narrative. If the
texts were available, it might be interesting to see how something like
Bridget Jones compares. It will clearly have a lot of female 3rd person in
it, but it will also have a lot of 1st person.