On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 8:29 AM, Walker, David <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hey Eric,
>
> Is this an Innovative system you have access to (at Notre Dame)?  And do
> you need to do this one time only, or does it need to be automated and
> ongoing?
>
> If it's a system you have access to, and you only need it once, then you
> might just have one of the staff there use the Millennium client to get
> these records.  Innovative provides modules (Create Lists and Data Exchange)
> to search for and export MARC records.  There is, of course, documentation
> for that.

There is also a function in the character based system that allows you to
export MARC records. This can easily be automated with expect.

If it is ongoing and you only need individual records, you can also ask
target systems to enable XRECORD for bib records in their system. This will
enable you to pull up records in XML that contain all the fields in their
full glory. I strongly recommend against this option as it is one of the
most insane schemas I've ever seen, it doesn't deal with certain characters
properly, and you can only harvest by control number.

There is also a syntax that you can use to pull individual records from the
"staff" view in the public OPAC that gives you a textual representation of
the MARC record. This can be parsed and converted to a real MARC record.

If you need all records in the system, the expect route through the
character based system is the best. The other methods can be used in a
pinch.

I recommend against Data Exchange not because it doesn't work (though the
last time I checked it didn't work well with large sets), but because you
can't automate it and it forces you to work though a java gui client.

kyle
Kyle Banerjee
Digital Services Program Manager
Orbis Cascade Alliance