A bunch of us are using Solr/lucene for discovery over library
bibliographic records, which is based on the basic tf*idf weighting type
algorithm, with a bunch of tweaks.   So all of us doing that, and
finding it pretty successful, are probably surprised to hear that this
approach won't work on library data. :)

Jonathan