No english documentation to my knowledge.

If you want to become a member of the EZB you pay a small fee for their
infrastructure and their staff maintaing the database. It's around 500
EUR a year. Very valuable!

I am not aware of an API that let's you synchronize holdings
registration automatically. Intersting idea anyhow. But you may do an
export of your holdings, so this may work in the other direction.

For a subset of the EZB members (for all those also using the ZDB) its
is even possible to get in addition the availability of their print
holdings.

I am Switzerland based and the ZDB is not open to the world unfortunately.

ZDB
http://dispatch.opac.d-nb.de/DB=1.1/

But the EZB is open to any library in the world. Weak point is the UI
has a german bias (e.g. comments), although there is an english UI. But
you can live with that, specially if you create your own application
using the API.

Markus