At Lehigh, I've extracted e-journals from our SirsiDynix Symphony
catalog via API into alphabetical and discipline-based XML documents.
We then index those documents with Swish-e (http://www.swish-e.org/) and
display the browse-able XML alphabetized lists and search interface in
our Drupal-based website.  Drupal, however, has little to do with the
A-to-Z list other than processing the PHP/XML/XSLT.  The
Discipline-based order is determined by a value defined in local MARC field.

Our A-to-Z databases are NOT cataloged, so they are managed by a small
PHP/MySQL app that two of our librarians control additions, deletions,
and edits of metadata.

You can see the interfaces here:
   General Library Site: http://library.lehigh.edu/
   Specific Database Finder app: