>>> On 2/18/2011 at 12:22 PM, Kyle Banerjee <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> XML server is not required to get bib records in XML. This can simply be
> enabled in WWWOPTIONS. XML Server is another product that contains
> significant additional features, but any system can display certain record
> types in XML.

Part of the original question was trying to find only those records that matched a certain criteria. If that were still desired and those records had a unique index entry, then the XML server could make that a much less intensive search than crawling through the whole record space.

Of course, that depends upon the XML Server actually working as expected, which is never guaranteed... :-)

> As is the case with many systems, III bib numbers are sequentially issued so
> you can simply guess them which is even easier because when pulling them out
> of the webopac, you leave off the check digit.

Again, if the need is just for a subset of records, it sometimes is easier to preload the search rather than crawl the entire database, especially when it's someone else's server on someone else's network.

Still, in the end, it's probably just easier to crawl the whole thing as often as possible and throw out what you don't need.

I just wish the Innovative server had the ability to tell you which records had been updated since a certain time or just sent you the updated record numbers as they happened so that you didn't have to crawl the whole thing every time. Oh, wait, it does (see, Encore, INN-Reach, Partners)...

HTH,
David

David Jones                                     mailto:[log in to unmask]
Library Systems Manager                  http://www.scu.edu/library/
University Library                               fax:   408-551-1805
Santa Clara University                            phone: 408-551-7167
500 El Camino Real
Santa Clara CA 95053-0500
Logic must take care of itself.
-- Wittgenstein, Notebooks, 1914-196, 22.8.14