On Feb 3, 2011, at 4:42 PM, Nate Hill wrote:

> Hi - I'm new to Apache and hope that someone out there might be able to help
> me with a configuration issue over at San Jose Public Library.
>
> I need to have the URL www.partnersinreading.org redirect to
> http://www.sjpl.org/par
> Right now if you go to www.partnersinreading.org it takes you to the root,
> sjpl.org and then if you navigate through the site all the urls are
> rewritten with partnersinreading as the root.
> That's no good.
>
> I went into Apache's httpd.conf file and added in the mod_alias area:
> Redirect permanent http://www.partnersinreading.org/ http://www.sjpl.org/par

But the argument to match for redirecting is the local path, not the URL, so you'll
have to either do some environmental matching, or put it in a virtual host block

I'm used to mod_rewrite, so I'd probably do something like:

	RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.partnersinreading\.org$
	RewriteRule ^/(.*)  http://www.sjpl.org/par/$1 [L,R=301]

(that assumes that you've replicated the directory structure on the new site)

-----
Joe Hourcle
Programmer/Analyst
Solar Data Analysis Center