Here's one day of data- thanks. and if you've not responded, I'm still interested! In particular, I don't have much coverage of major research libraries. (reply off list)

I asked for:
1. The number of people employed at or on contract to your library whose major responsibilities include software development or maintenance. Broadly defined.
2. The total FTE staff at your library.

From Code4Lib respondents:
Total library staff           dev staff               percent
25	10	40.0%
150	5	3.3%
13	5	38.5%
53	4.5	8.5%
220	3	1.4%
98	1.75	1.8%
52	1.5	2.9%
50	1.33	2.7%
37	1.3	3.5%
40	1	2.5%
22	1	4.5%
23	0.5	2.2%
16	0.3	1.9%
90	0.25	0.3%
130	0.25	0.2%
2.1	0.2	9.5%
The two large percentages are from places that serve as "centers".

I was also pointed to a study which counted "technology staff" in libraries. My guess is that this is a number 2-3 times larger than "people doing sw dev or maint, broadly defined".

Total library staff           tech staff               percent

128	32	25.0%
122	15	12.3%
82	15	18.3%
128	14	10.9%