In Monday's call I mentioned the potential of us using a semantic wiki
for the standards registry. I have no experience with them but have
looked into them a little bit for use in a different project. Here's a
few links about them:

The wikipedia entry of course:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_wiki

I think the best known semantic wiki software is Semantic MediaWiki,
which is an extension to the MediaWiki wiki software.
http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Semantic_MediaWiki
From their Intro page: "While traditional wikis contain only text
which computers can neither understand nor evaluate, SMW adds semantic
annotations that allow a wiki to function as a collaborative
database."
Some of its users are listed at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_MediaWiki#Usage

There are variations of this software, for example Semantic Bundle
(http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Semantic_Bundle) which includes things
like SemanticForms, which we could use to create form for adding or
editing records.

Maybe we could look into using something like this as a longer-term
solution and use something that's easier and requires no set-up at
first, like a Google spreadsheet.

Andrea

Andrea Goethals
Digital Preservation and Repository Services Manager
Harvard University Library Office for Information Systems
90 Mt. Auburn Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
phone: (617) 495-3724