I've been tackling this as well.  Currently we have a mess...I'm sure you're
shocked to hear this.

Some rooms on campus (and even in the library) are booked through
Exchange/Outlook.
Some rooms aren't.
The rooms that aren't are done through a custom Rails app (
http://webapps.csuchico.edu/roomres/)

The pros of the custom app are: public schedule and "reporting"
The cons are: inconsistent interface between rooms in the Library.

I've been trying to bend SharePoint to somehow work for this, but I can't
seem to get the data back into Exchange or provide a public calendar
(SharePoint has no non-authenticated sites at our institution).

In other words, I'd also love to hear how people are tackling this.

Pat