Hi Tony, I'm glad that ruby-marc appears to be generally useful.

Another (even simpler) way to do what you want is:

record.to_marc

Which, I think, would do the same thing you're doing with MARC::Writer.encode.

If you want to write up a block of text to plop into the README, feel
free to send some me some copy (wholesale edits also welcome).

Thanks,
-Ross.