Not to pile on, but I think that while you might be able to do this on
some shared hosting, it will wind up being more hassle than its worth.
I would just get a low cost slice from Linode or Slicehost and roll
your own.

Bespoke managed hosting (which we offer) is not cheap, and the amount
of maintenance required on a dedicated linux host is not that great.
An occasional "yum update" (or Debian equiv.) covers most of it. You
can probably find an curious intern to do it.

Cary

--
Cary Gordon
The Cherry Hill Company