Depending on how your Excel file is set up, the least painful way might just be to do it all in Excel. Add columns in between each field, throw XML strings into those, then concatenate each row into a single cell at the end of the row and copy-paste that final column out. If you want cleaner XML (i.e. one attribute per line rather than the all the item's attributes strung together) you can add regular expressions in with your XML and parse them out later.

-Matt