You might take a look at GoogleRefine (FreeBase GridWorks). It has a
Templating Export feature that's pretty slick.  It outputs JSON by
default, but it's flexible and could do XML-ish stuff pretty easily.
Here's Google's docs for outputting YAML instead that you adapt:

https://code.google.com/p/google-refine/wiki/ExportAsYAML

-- Scott