*correction*
The EAD already contained description to the *folder* level.
However, the software we released will allow for description only to the
*box* level -- and the option of linking in folders as opposed to items.

We're still refining the display for folks not using Acumen (many already
have an EAD delivery system!) -- but currently a sample folder looks
something like this (dependent upon your config file):

http://bit.ly/g8wRSD

and an item looks something like this:
http://bit.ly/evD3Cv

--jody

> [...]
> locally, to avoid ever having to remediate metadata when changing servers
> or delivery software.  It's just MySQL and a script.  Cool URLs are great
> if you can foresee all the things your institution's administration are
> going to throw your way -- but if you can't, a simple redirection that you
> CAN control is a good solution.
>
> The ns2 namespace was used for xlink:
> xmlns:ns2="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
>
> We're still waiting for our administration to approve the release of
> Acumen, and we are *very* impatient for this.  I am, especially, since I
> was encouraged to promote it.  :-)
>
> Thank you for your interest!
>
> --jody
>
>> Hi Jody,
>>
>> Thanks for sending along this information about Cabaniss. I'd be
>> curious to hear how your per-page costs compare with other projects,
>> such as Oregon State [1] (which I just wandered across in Google).
>>
>> The notes from your project wiki [2] are really interesting. In
>> particular the details about linking from the EAD documents to the
>> item views using the PURLs struck my eye [3]. Did you have a PURL
>> server already set up at your institution, or is this something you
>> did as part of this project? Was there a real advantage to doing that
>> instead of thoughtfully managing a URL namespace with Cool URLs [4]. I
>> know I'm biased, but it sure was nice to see URLs in use instead of
>> Handles :-)
>>
>> I haven't done EAD work in a while, and was wondering what the ns2
>> namespace is in the linking example on the wiki, e.g.
>>
>> <dao id="u0003_0000252_0000002" ns2:title="u0003_0000252_0000002"
>> ns2:href="http://purl.lib.ua.edu/148" ns2:actuate="onRequest"
>> ns2:show="new"/>
>>
>> Last of all I was curious about the EAD viewing software you are
>> developing to stand in for Acumen. Is this work still underway?
>>
>> Sorry for all the questions. I guess that's what you get for doing
>> interesting stuff :-)
>>
>> //Ed
>>
>> [1]
>> http://wiki.library.oregonstate.edu/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=19327
>> [2] http://www.lib.ua.edu/wiki/digcoll/
>> [3]http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html
>> [4] http://www.lib.ua.edu/wiki/digcoll/index.php/Scripted_Links_in_EADs
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 9:03 PM, Jody DeRidder <[log in to unmask]>
>> wrote:
>>> (Apologies for cross posting)
>>>
>>> For Immediate Release
>>> Contact Person:  Jody L. DeRidder
>>> Email: [log in to unmask]
>>> Phone: (205) 348-0511
>>>
>>> Completed UA Libraries Grant Project Provides Model for Low-Cost
>>> Digitization of Cultural Heritage Materials
>>>
>>> The University of Alabama Libraries has completed a grant project which
>>> demonstrates a model of low-cost digitization and web delivery of
>>> manuscript materials.  Funded by the National Archives and Records
>>> Administration (NARA) National Historical Publications and Records
>>> Commission (NHPRC), the project digitized a large and nationally
>>> important
>>> manuscript collection related to the emancipation of slaves:  the
>>> Septimus
>>> D. Cabaniss Papers.  This digitization grant (NAR10-RD-10033-10)
>>> extended
>>> for 14 months (ended February 2011), and has provided online access to
>>> 46,663 images for less than $1.50 per page: