On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Demian Katz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> These are the questions I'm seeking answers to; I know that those of
>> you who have coded their own Summon front-ends must have faced the
>> same questions when implementing their record displays.
>
> Feel free to refer to VuFind's Summon template for reference if that is helpful:
>
> https://vufind.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vufind/trunk/web/interface/themes/default/Summon/record.tpl
>
> Andrew wrote this originally, and I've tweaked it in a few places to address problems as they arose.  I don't claim that this offers the definitive answer to your questions...  but it's working reasonably well for us so far.

Ah, thanks.  As they say, a piece of code speaks a thousand words!

So, to solve the conundrum: only PublicationDate_xml and
PublicationDate are of interest. If the former is given, use it and
print (if available) its .month, .day, and .year fields. Else, if the
latter is given, just print it.
Ignore all other date-related fields. Ignore PublicationDate_xml.text.
 Ignore if there's more than one date field - use the first one.

This knowledge will also help me avoid sending unnecessary data to the
LibX client. As you know, Summon requires a proxy that talks to the
actual service, and cutting out redundant and derived fields at the
proxy could save a fair amount of bandwidth (though I'll have to check
if it also shaves off latency.) A typical search response (raw JSON,
with 20 hits) is > 500KB long, so investing computing time at the
proxy in cutting this down may be promising.

 - Godmar