On Mar 5, 2011, at 3:01 PM, Cindy Harper wrote:

> Well, I just walked my 80-year-old mother through setting up her wireless
> router and wireless on her desktop and laptop via telephone NY-to-VA, and
> now I feel like I can think about another challenge for the coming
> season(s). Does anyone know of a good online course that's an introduction
> to semantic web technology that they could recommend? My goals are simply to
> understand more and be able to code a little, and afterward applying it to
> linked data?  I know of one course this summer at Johns Hopkins Engineering
> for Professionals program
> http://ep.jhu.edu/course-homepages/viewpage.php?homepage_id=2993, but it's
> rather pricey. Anyone know of cheaper options or creative ideas for funding?

I don't know how introductory it'd be, but ASIS&T has been doing a lot of
'webinars' this year, and there are ones coming up on the 9th and 13th on
linked data, and the first one sounds like it'll cover some semantic web
issues::

	http://asis.org/Conferences/webinars/2011/linked-data.html

(I can't compare prices to the JHU one, as I didn't see any pricing on the
JHU site; this round of ASIS&T webinars are $25 for members, $59 for
non-members; some in the past have been free for ASIS&T members)

Also, looking at MIT's Open Courseware catalog, I see a few individual
lessons that might be applicable:

	http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

In the past, I've looked at some of the courses from W3schools (not affiliated
with W3C, but has some tutorials on various things related to the web).  They
tend to be fairly introductory, but they have two that might be of interest:

	http://www.w3schools.com/rdf/default.asp
	http://www.w3schools.com/semweb/default.asp

-Joe

-----