Good evening,

We are pleased to announce that Johan Oomen and Lora Aroyo have submitted
the camera ready version of the paper ³Crowdsourcing in the Cultural
Heritage Domain:  Opportunities and Challenges². It will be presented at the
5th International Conference on Communities & Technologies. The paper can be
downloaded [ http://tinyurl.com/6k9qczh ]  and the authors welcome feedback
on this ongoing research ~ twitter: @johanoomen

Abstract: Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums (short: GLAMs) around
the globe are beginning to explore the potential of crowdsourcing, i.e.
outsourcing specific activities to a community though an open call. In this
paper, we propose a typology of these activities, based on an empirical
study of a substantial amount of projects initiated by relevant cultural
heritage institutions. We use the Digital Content Life Cycle model to study
the relation between the different types of crowdsourcing and the core
activities of heritage organizations. Finally, we focus on two critical
challenges that will define the success of these collaborations between
amateurs and professionals: (1) finding sufficient knowledgeable, and loyal
users; (2) maintaining a reasonable level of quality. We thus show the path
towards a more open, connected and smart cultural heritage: open (the data
is open, shared and accessible), connected (the use of linked data allows
for interoperable infrastructures, with users and providers getting more and
more connected), and smart (the use of knowledge and web technologies allows
us to provide interesting data to the right users, in the right context,
anytime, anywhere ­ both with involved users/consumers and providers). It
leads to a future cultural heritage that is open, has intelligent
infrastructures and has involved users, consumers and providers.

drs. Johan Oomen

Head of Research · Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision
PhD candidate · VU University Amsterdam
e: [log in to unmask]
t: @johanoomen
s: johan.oomen