On 03/17/2011 04:47 PM, Owens, Trevor wrote:

> ==Questions for Member Implementers==

If the goal for the survey is to keep it short and sweet, I would like
to see a question added to gauge if the surveyee would be interested in
a follow-up survey where more in-depth questions are asked.  I have a
number of nitty-gritty questions I'd like to see answered in such a
follow-up survey:

  * What type of storage do you use (NAS, SAN, DAS, etc.)?

  * What sort of disks (type & speed: SATA, 7200 RPM) do you use?

  * What's the size of your environment, and how have you carved it up?

  * What filesystems do you use?

  * What other file systems did you consider, and why did you go with
the one you did? (was it because of type of data stored: size of object
- large vs many small, familiarity w/ FS, etc.)

  * What tiers of storage do you have & how have you determined them
(via characteristics like disk speed, RAID level, etc)?

  * Do you have classifications of data? If so, how do they map to
different tiers of storage and backup methods?

  * Are you using HSM? What vendor? How have you implemented this
(policies)?

  * How are you using striping, mirroring, and virtualization?

  * How are you handling replication?

  * How do you handle backups of large-scale storage (what's the backup
window; how often are you doing fulls vs. diffs/incs; what's your
retention policy for off-site/DR copies; are backups to tape, disk, or
both; etc.)?

  * What would you change about your storage config/architecture if you
had to do it all over again?

-Mike