Eric, thanks for finding enough merit in my post on the DPLA listserv
to repost it here.

Karen and Peter, I completely agree with your feelings-
But my point in throwing this idea out there was that despite all of
the copyright issues, we don't really do a great job making a simple,
intuitive, branded interface for the works that *are* available - the
public domain stuff.  Instead we seem to be content with knowing that
this content is out there, and letting vendors add it to their
difficult-to-use interfaces.

I guess my hope, seeing this reposted here is that someone might have
a suggestion as to why I would not host public domain ebooks on my own
library's site.  Are there technical hurdles to consider?

I feel like I see a tiny little piece of the ebook access problem that
we *can* solve here, while some of the larger issues will indeed be
debated in forums like the DPLA for quite a while.  By solving a small
problem along the way, perhaps when the giant 1923-2011 problem is
resolved we'll have a clearer path as to what type of access we might
provide.

--
Nate Hill
http://www.natehill.net