I'm familiar with it, and I love it.  Love the
Commentpress<http://www.futureofthebook.org/commentpress/>work as
well.

This project addresses participation and scholarly communication (nicely),
not the interface by which you access it.  If you think about the audience
at a public library, it'd be amazingly valuable to have a whole bunch of
kids books directly hosted on your site with an intuitive URL, library
branding, a downloadbale ePub version, and a hosted version with commenting
similar to what you see in the Candide 2.0 project. I think with some user
testing you might find the commenting a little outside of the way a casual
15 year old reader might want to interact with it, but you never know.

I think the interface part is the real kicker with all of this.  If I could
just fire up the iPad, navigate to a book's page at my local library and
start reading it to my kid, that'd be amazing.  Or if I had one of those
soon to be released Google laptops running the Chrome OS, I'd be in good
shape to read to my kid.  Still, if I'm at home using Internet Explorer 6 on
my ancient laptop, I could read to my kid.  Yes, you can do much of this
with the Candide 2.0 bit, but it wasn't designed to solve the
cross-platform, cross-device, with-or-without connectivity issue, it was
designed to probe the participatory reading issue from a decidedly academic
perspective.

I'm really sorry to see that the Candide 2.0 thing stopped with that one
text.  I'd love to see that platform used for more books, with the
interfaced redesigned to appeal to a broader audience.  I think it is a
great starting point.

--
Nate Hill
http://www.natehill.net