On 4/6/2011 2:43 PM, William Denton wrote:

> "Validity" does mean something definite ... but Postel's Law is a good
> guideline, especially with the swamp of bad MARC, old MARC, alternate
> MARC, that's out there.  Valid MARC is valid MARC, but if---for the sake
> of file and its magic---we can identify technically invalid but still
> usable MARC, that's good.

Hmm, accept in the case of Web Browsers, I think general consensus is
Postel's law was not helpful. These days, most people seem to think that
having different browsers be tolerant of invalid data in different ways
was actually harmful rather than helpful to inter-operability (which is
theoretically the goal of Postel's law), and that's not what people do
anymore in web browser land, at least not to the extremes they used to
do it.

So Postel's Law may not be a universal.  Although marc data may or may
not be analagous to a web browser/html. :)  It doesn't _really_ matter,
cause we're stuck with the legacy we're stuck with, there's no changing
it now. But there are real world negative consequences to it, some of
which I've tried to explain in previous messages. (And still don't call
it "validity" if it's not please! But yes, sometimes insisting on strict
validity is not the appropriate solution).

Also note that assuming that byte 20-21 is "45" even when it's something
else is possibly not something Postel would accept as an application of
his law -- unless you document your software specifically as working
only with Marc21, and not any Marc.

[Postel's Law: "Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you
accept." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robustness_principle  .  That wiki
page also notes the general category of downside in following Postel's
law, which is what was encountered with HTML, and which _I've_
encountered with MARC:  "For example, a defective implementation that
sends non-conforming messages might be used only with implementations
that tolerate those deviations from the specification until, possibly
several years later, it is connected with a less tolerant application
that rejects its messages. In such a situation, identifying the problem
is often difficult, and deploying a solution can be costly. "

Yes, identifying the problem and deploying the solution was costly, in
my MARC case, although it definitely could have been worse. ]