That's hilarious, that Terry has had to do enough ugliness with Marc
encodings that he indeed can recognize 0xC2 off the bat as the Marc8
encoding it represents!  I am in awe, as well as sympathy.

If the record is in Marc8, then you need to know if Perl Batch::Marc can
handle Marc8.  If it's supposed to be able to handle it, you need to
figure out why it's not. (leader byte says UTF-8 even though it's really
Marc8?).

If Batch::Marc can't handle Marc8, you need to convert to UTF-8 first.
The only software package I know of that can convert from and to Marc8
encoding is Java Marc4J, but I wouldn't be shocked if there was
something in Perl to do it. (But yes, as you can tell by the name,
"Marc8" is a character encoding ONLY used in Marc, nobody but library
people write software for dealing with it).