Quoting Ross Singer <[log in to unmask]>:

> Yeah, this could get ugly pretty fast.  It's a bit unclear to me what
> the distinction is between identical terms in both the geographic
> areas and the country codes
> (http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/geographicAreas/e-uk-en &
> http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/countries/enk).  Well, in LC's current
> representation, there *is* no distinction, they're both just
> skos:Concepts that (by virtue of skos:exactMatch) effectively
> interchangeable.

The distinction is MARC-based. There is a lot of redundant data in
MARC that is an encoded form of something that elsewhere is expressed
as text -- somewhat controlled text, but text. The geographic area
code is input in the "coded data" area of MARC (0XX) to make up for
the fact that figuring out a geographic area from LC subject headings
is difficult. This is not unlike having publication dates as text in
the 260 $c and again in a fixed format in the 008 field. Much of this
redundant input (think of the time!) could be eliminated if we quit
keying text strings but allowed the display to derive from the coded
data.

The existence of all of the coded data fields in MARC is proof that
there is some consciousness that text is not sufficient for some of
the functionality that we would like to have in our systems.
Unfortunately, because the coded data is not human-friendly AND is
redundant, it does not get input consistently. And because it does not
get input consistently, it's hard to base any functionality on it
since that functionality would apply only to a somewhat random subset
of the records in the database. So... here we are.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net