On 4/17/2011 10:58 AM, Bill Dueber wrote:
> At the same time, I'm finding it hard to determine if we're converging on
> "when trying to turn LCSH into reasonable facets, here's what you need to
> do" or "when trying to turn LCSH into reasonable facets, you've haven't got
> a freakin' prayer".  Can someone help me here?

FAST has done it somehow -- turned LCSH into reasonable facets.  But I'm
not sure if there's a good overview available of how.

"reasonable" is certainly something of degree too. I don't think you can
do 'reasonably' with a pretty rough and ready approach. I need to blog
about the just _few_ things I've done to normalize LCSH for facetting in
my blacklight-based catalog, which I think gets it pretty close to
'reasonable'. Heck, some people think just taking the subdivisions on
marc subfields and splitting em into facets is 'reasonable', although it
results in many oddities.

But, I think the utlimate answer to your question with full precision
and based on full knowledge of LCSH is not yet determiend -- unless the
FAST people have figured it out and can share what they've figured out
in a useful way.